Tuesday, July 22, 2008

CAMPING TRIP




So, in my last post I forgot to mention we just got back from our annual camping trip to Clarks Fork. It was so much fun. The first night, we pretty much just set up camp. It was too late to get a fire going and to cook dinner, so we headed back down to Strawberry for some dinner. We ate at the Strawberry Inn. It was quite an interesting place. The food was american but the set up was definitely eastern European. Then we went to Pine Crest. They have an outdoor ampitheater there. We watched the movie, Get Smart. Pretty hillarious. Then it was late and we went back to camp. We found our air mattress almost completely deflated. But it was too late to fix it. So, we just slept on it. I couldn't believe how warm it was. I wasn't cold at night like I normally am. So, Saturday we woke up and tried to make a fire. But the wood my dad gave us just would not catch fire. Poor Joe, there he was splitting all this wood, and it wouldn't even work! But we managed and ate a pretty good breakfast. Then we headed back down to Pine Crest. Last year we took the hike around the lake and I almost died. I couldn't believe how out of shape I was. Not even half way through I was completely exhausted and ready to quit. We had to stop every five minutes just so I could catch my breath and stop complaining for a minute. Well, this year we decided to do it again. I was a bit nervous at first because I didn't want to be such a baby. Well, to my surprise, I didn't have any troubles at all getting around that lake!! Joe let my lead the entire time. And no joke, I was practically jumping off some of those steps. I felt so good. I just wanted to keep pushing myself. I was sure that I was going to start getting really tire at any second. But I'm telling you I did great. I was so proud of myself. I've been going to the gym for the past few months. I really haven't lost much weight, but now I can see the difference it has made. Well, after the hike, we changed and sat down at the beach and ate lunch. Last monday I went to the city pool with Lorilee and her kids. I got the worst sunburn I've ever had. But by Saturday I was doing okay. I took off my shirt only to find I had hundreds of tiny water blisters all over my shoulders and back. It was GROSS. I guess from the hike I sweated so much that my peeling skin created these gross little blisters. But it didn't hurt and I was able to get rid of them. Joe and I decided to go into the freezing cold lake. I hate cold water, but since I was in such an adventurous spirit, I wanted to see if I could handle the cold water. So, we got in slowly but surely. Then we decided to swim out to the buoy (totally don't know how to spell that). We just sat on the beach after that under our umbrellas eating ice cream and watching the view and the hundreds of other families there. Quite entertaining I must say. Then we headed back to our camp, but first we picked up some fire starter. On the way back we decided to check out some other camp sites along the way. Some were quite remote and others were great. But I was getting pretty cranky after going over bumpy terrain for 2 hours. When we got back we tried to fix our air mattress. It must have just not been screwed on right because it worked just fine for us then. We ate dinner made from cooking fish and rice on the fire. Pretty delicious. We sat around the fire for a while. I made a s'more while Joe put this cool stuff in the fire that turned it different colors like blue and green. Pretty fun. After that we were beat. So we headed to bed. Then on Sunday, we woke up, packed up camp and fed the rest of our peanuts to the little critters of the forrest. We headed back down the mountain and came home. A shower was much needed and that was our little adventure. I love being with Joe. He's so much fun and he pushes me to get me to do the things I want to do, but am sometimes scared to do. Misty, we still have to go camping. Maybe next month!!

3 comments:

mistyb said...

seriously mel I really want to go your trip sounds awesome and makes me want to go even more. Good job doing the hike and swimming in the lake! Awesome girl!! glad you guys had fun!

Tami said...

Sounds like so much fun. I want to see some pictures!

mistyb said...

yeah for the pictures, you guys are so cute!!