Saturday, November 15, 2008

WEDDING CAKE AND HUMBLE PIE

So, today I was at work doing my normal Saturday morning prep work. I was leaving early in order to set up a wedding cake and so I was wanting to get everything in order before I had to leave. Well, we normally open at 11 am. An elderly lady called up this morning around 9 am. She wanted a mini pizza and I told her we didn't open until 11. Well, she said that was fine. About 2 minutes later she called back wanting to know if she could pick it up in a couple of minutes because she was going to a funeral. So, I got really upset. It was so dumb. I had no patience with this woman. Yes it was a simple task and would only take me a minute or 2 to put it together, but I wanted to be mad at her. I however did agree but very grudgingly. I kept going off about this dumb pizza and this annoying lady!!! I didn't want any interuptions during my prep work and now I had to deal with this! Well, she came in a few minutes later and she continued to thank me so much for doing this. You see, she was on her way to her grandson's funeral. He was only 36 years old and died of a heart attack. He left behind 3 children and a wife. Hmmmm....let's just say I felt like a complete jerk. Here I was complaining about 2 minutes of my time to help someone. And all along I was just making this womans very sad day a little better by getting this pizza to a man she took care of when it was convenient for her. Wow. Those lessons you need to learn. I told her it was no problem and I was sorry for her loss. She had no idea what I had thought just a few seconds before. I really needed to learn a lesson there. So, new goal for Melanie. I sometimes get caught up in how everything affects me. So, now I realize sometimes you need to step back and look at the big picture. Maybe there is an inconvenience we must face, but really are we sweating the small stuff? Just food for thought.


Anyway, despite my pitiful morning, I got to deliver an amazing wedding cake to a client. She pretty much designed the cake herself. She saw a picture in a book, but chaged it around to look like what you see here. My wonderful friend and fellow cake decorator helped me set it up. Thanks Gena!!!

3 comments:

I am a mother! said...

Very pretty cake

Tami said...

wow sweet little Melanie had a negetive thought, I can't believe it!

Lorilee said...

Mel, thanks for the food for thought. I also need to try to put myself in someone else's shoes more often. But, your mean thoughts are probably equal to my nice ones. I'm just saying.......